Here, between 1705 - 1713, the first accommodations for postiliones and horse stables were built. Following the demolition of these buildings came the construction (1875-1881) of the Postal Service building designed by Carl Schwatlo. It housed the central office of Berlin's pneumatic postal system as well as the main post office for packages. In addition, the building contained a postal and telegraph school. Beneath the roof were sleeping quarters and dressing rooms for the postiliones, and in the courtyard were coach houses for the mail carriages and horse stables. Scientists and inventors who contributed greatly to the development of communication are portrayed on the 24 medallions on the building's facade. The period of continuous use as a place for art exhibitions, which began in 1997, will end with the completion of the 2nd berlin biennale.