Universes in Universe - Worlds of Art

Singapore Biennale

Singapore / City Tour / Financial District

09 of 12

Lau Pa Sat





Formerly Telok Ayer Market. The Chinese term Lau Pa Sat means "old market".

Octagonal cast iron market hall, conceptualized in 1894 by the city engineer James MacRitchie, who took the idea from a building of the architect George Drumgoole Coleman, which had been torn down in 1879. The market hall was reconstructed during the 1980s and became a Food Centre in 1995.

View from Robinson Road, corner with Boon Tat Street


© Photo: Haupt & Binder


Singapore / City Tour / Financial District